Monday, March 11, 2013

Creative Breakfasts for Mommie and Baby

It's true: I haven't posted on this blog in *years* and really don't know where I found the time.  
But I do love writing about my adventures in nourishing, delicious cooking!  

I got a question from a dear friend, and enjoyed responding so much, I thought I'd share it here.

Her question was:
Hi, my tiffie!  I would love to get hot, relatively quick breakfast meals for the mornings I go to work ~ steel cut oatmeal is losing its favor with me.  Something where baby Seone [15 months] can easily share with me ~ b/c she is such a big girl now!!  Any ideas?  

Here's what I wrote:

Hi, Arlene! 

I am high as a kite having just learned that Tiff had their baby this morning!!  baby Jude.  <3 br="" nbsp="" style="font-family: Verdana;">
My suggestion for breakfast food is custards!  they are so easy and so versatile.  i make a custard out of eggs, and leftovers.  the variations are endless.  
Just think frittata with a little extra liquid.  
when i make them, i count how many eggs most people usually eat, and add an extra one or two depending on how many servings you want [if cooking for a group ~ add two, if cooking for just a couple ~ add one].  

then add... soup... already cooked veggies... cooked fruits... nuts... i mean, the options really are endless!  the Official ratio for a custard is 1 egg per cup of liquid. but it is really just so flexible.  and if you want it to bake faster, just put it in smaller baking dishes.  so a "typical" custard for me would be.. 8 eggs ~ you can even add extra yolks for nourishment, and 1 pint of leftover soup.  puree with handheld blender ~ or NOT! ~ add 1/2 cup of melted fat of your choice, seasoning, and then bake at 365 until the center is not liquidy, and the top is browned.  you can add cheese on top for extra deliciousness [broil this in the last minutes if you want].  it is really so flexible.  the other day i made a custard with eggs, leftover co-op soup (which had black beans, corn, and bits of bacon, and cream), leftover restaurant grits, and then grated cheese all over the top.  it was soooo good.  everyone (family and friends) marveled.  ;-) 
another favorite is eggs with ... yogurt or cream, sliced-thin apples, and then leftover/precooked oat groats.  cinnamon and a little honey if you like.  chopped nuts are nice in this too, like walnuts or pecans.  it really just goes on and on.  

winter squash puree makes an excellent easy one.  

do you get the idea?  please ask more questions if needed! :-)  


Also, hearty breakfast muffins ~ just add a little extra solid to the custard = you have a muffin! 

my basic ratio is: 
3 eggs
1 yolk
1 cup of small coconut flakes
1/2 cup liquidy something, such as yogurt or banana or applesauce
spices and a 1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda 
1/4 cup melted fat, such as butter/ghee or coconut oil, poured in slowly as you mix


i add a sprinkle of [grassfed] gelatin [here's my source] for extra nourishment, flax seeds, nuts.. 

here is a recipe from some i made and posted on my blog, with a reference to the original recipe, for some examples. 
http://food-a-file.blogspot.com/2011/11/baked-sweet-grain-free-acorn-squash.html

and here's another recipe.  i've been playing with bananas lately, and recently have been adding carob chips and/or carob powder to the mix, and it is just so delicious (don't know if your carob chip source is as good as the one at our co-op, but i hope so!  you could also use chocolate, but don't know if that would sit well with Seoney!) 
http://food-a-file.blogspot.com/2011/07/baked-homey-grain-free-banana-bread.html
I make these for breakfast and don't mind if Anjali [4yo] eats them exclusively all day long; they are just so wholesome, nourishing, and satisfying.  they also hold me over for hours; they are so hearty.  no mid-morning sugar-crashes in sight! 

I hope this helps.  Please let me know if you have questions.  once you get the hang of these, they take just a few minutes to put together ~ which can be done the night before, and baking time.  so, a little longer than oatmeal, but they offer so many options.  <3 nbsp="">

2 comments:

Milliscent Morgan said...

Thanks for this great blog actually I'm looking for the blog of Professional Banquet Facilities. Thanks!

milecar said...

Paul Wasserman–son of French food dictionary wine importer Becky–has just launched EatDrink, a company that sells gorgeous reprints of old wine books like 1927's Bouquet (above) by G.B. Stern, which follows a couple's journey through the vineyards of France.