Thursday, March 18, 2010

Lamb Tabouli Pilaf with Tahini Dressing

We have family staying with us this week, and I have made a loose menu of breakfasts and dinners so that we eat a large majority of meals here for the week. Last night I got resoundingly positive feedback on dinner (yay! ~ from a variety of "types" of eaters), so I thought it was worth sharing.
But I'm gonna make it quick because breakfast is cooking and I can't keep the masses at bay forever!

Lamb Tabouli Pilaf with Tahini Dressing
Enough for 6 for dinner, plus leftovers for a few people as a snack the next day!

1 lb ground lamb with salt and pepper, browned
1 1/2 cups brown rice
1/2 cup quinoa
beef stock
large can chick peas (other beans are worth soaking ahead. but i buy canned chickpeas.)
1 block of dry cow's milk feta, crumbled small
1 bunch parsley ~ minced
1 "bunch" peppermint (from garden), minced
1 "bunch" lemon balm (from garden), minced
2 Tbsp minced red onion (I hate raw onion, but I thought it was appropriate..)
freshly toasted cumin, ground
sea salt and pepper to taste
juice of 3/4 a lemon

dressing:
whole milk yogurt
about 1/2 cup freshly toasted sesame seeds, ground in coffee grinder
olive oil
3 cloves garlic, pressed
more of the toasted cumin, ground
smoked paprika
sea salt
juice of 1/4 a lemon

Cooked the rice and quinoa together with 2 cups beef broth as part of the liquid. I let the meat and grains cool to about room temp, and tossed everything together in a big bowl.

Sorry I don't have measurements for the dressing. I probably used 1 1/2 cup of yogurt, and 1/4 cup (good) olive oil to make a thick creamy dressing. We used a lot of the dressing, so don't hold back. It was delicious, and was integral to flavor and texture.

This dish would be great served the next day ~ for a picnic for a group, etc. It is refreshingly light, yet filling, for a warm Spring day (like yesterday!).

No comments: